2) I am unequally yoked with my camera. He is a Canon Rebel t3i, and he does so much more for me than I will EVER be able to do for him. Any tips on photography and outfit pictures are SO welcome, because I have no idea what I'm doing.
3) I have naturally curly hair. I LOVE it. It's really big in the above picture, but I usually calm it down a bit with gentle words, music, and large amounts of TRESemme conditioner. I never feel like myself with straightened hair.
4) I'm a Christian. There is no passivity to my faith. It's integral to who I am. The Lord is my King, Christ my friend, the Spirit my eternal Helper. I see God in beautiful ways every day, His providence and His plans... and that's part of what blogging is going to be about, for me.
5) Music. I love it with everything I have. Expect a lot of song lyrics and youtube clips and perhaps some saccharine wanderings about how certain pieces touched me. I play piano, and some have told me I can sing...
6) I have a kitty named Ernie. I LOVE cats, and when I am old and have my own house I will no doubt be a crazy cat lady.
7) I have nightmares. It's difficult to sleep much of the time. So many times I have lost friends in dreams and woken up sobbing. Sleep is not a haven.
8) I'm a hopeless romantic.
9) I'm a GIGANTIC geek. I love sci-fi especially (Star Trek, Star Wars, Stargate, Farscape, Dr. Who... you name it, I've freaked out about it). I was a vulcan this past Halloween, and I recently attended a costume party as Aeryn from Farscape (an Australian sci-fi show).
10) I am a lot of things. Most I cannot explain. I'm guarded. I'm tense. I'm quiet. I've made horrendous mistakes. I'm far, far too good a liar for comfort. But I'm also overwhelmingly loving. I'm protective of my friends. I can be completely goofy. I'm dedicated. I'm resourceful.
3) I have naturally curly hair. I LOVE it. It's really big in the above picture, but I usually calm it down a bit with gentle words, music, and large amounts of TRESemme conditioner. I never feel like myself with straightened hair.
4) I'm a Christian. There is no passivity to my faith. It's integral to who I am. The Lord is my King, Christ my friend, the Spirit my eternal Helper. I see God in beautiful ways every day, His providence and His plans... and that's part of what blogging is going to be about, for me.
5) Music. I love it with everything I have. Expect a lot of song lyrics and youtube clips and perhaps some saccharine wanderings about how certain pieces touched me. I play piano, and some have told me I can sing...
6) I have a kitty named Ernie. I LOVE cats, and when I am old and have my own house I will no doubt be a crazy cat lady.
7) I have nightmares. It's difficult to sleep much of the time. So many times I have lost friends in dreams and woken up sobbing. Sleep is not a haven.
8) I'm a hopeless romantic.
9) I'm a GIGANTIC geek. I love sci-fi especially (Star Trek, Star Wars, Stargate, Farscape, Dr. Who... you name it, I've freaked out about it). I was a vulcan this past Halloween, and I recently attended a costume party as Aeryn from Farscape (an Australian sci-fi show).
10) I am a lot of things. Most I cannot explain. I'm guarded. I'm tense. I'm quiet. I've made horrendous mistakes. I'm far, far too good a liar for comfort. But I'm also overwhelmingly loving. I'm protective of my friends. I can be completely goofy. I'm dedicated. I'm resourceful.
And, because I have stalled quite long enough now... This is what I wore yesterday...
Attempt at outfit picture #1. Anyone have tips? =\ I live in the rainy, dark, cold land of Washington State, and it's rather impossible to take outfit photos in the woods out back this time of year, so I must settle with corners of bedrooms. The lighting situation is less than ideal, but the biggest problem is that I"m inexperienced with my camera... Ah well, I shall learn! Pinky swear.
Dress: Thrifted ($6)
Jacket: Plato's Closet ($10)
Necklaces: Thrifted ($1), Gifted (Free!), and Claires ($2)
Boots (sorta unpictured): Thrifted ($6)
I wish you could see the detail of this dress better! It's cotton, and SO light and comfortable. This is my first time wearing the dress, but it's going to get a ton of use, I can tell already. ^.^
Okay. ::tries to breathe:: I AM SO NERVOUS. It's worse than stage fright. There's something so much more personal about fashion than acting (oh, did I not mention? I'm an actress and a costumer.) It's really putting yourself on the line. Ah well, here goes.
I hope your week has been lovely so far!
-=Mae=-







HELLO SWEET LADY!
ReplyDeleteSo excited to see your first 'fashion' post! You did such an incredibly lovely blog and I want to welcome you so much to the blog sphere! It's been so nice to get to know you over emailing, bur I'm so greatly looking forward to going on this journey with you through blogging. I'll be here every step of the way sweet lady if you need anything! Hope you are doing just wonderful and congratulations on your new baby! x
Oh Lauren! I have been so sick over the past month that I haven't been able to keep up on my posting. =( Nobody wants to see pictures of me in sweatpants or on bedrest...
DeleteI really really appreciate your support! I'm going to get back to posting soon. I'm close to better now. =)
-=Brenna=-
Hey hun!
ReplyDeleteThanks for your comment on my blog! As for advice for beginning bloggers...I would start off with formulating a clear idea, whether in your mind or on paper, of what you want your blog to be and focus on. I know it helps me to have basic guidelines of what I will and won't post on my blog. It keeps things organized. If there are things you like to share that are not in your blog's basic theme, get a tumblr where you can share your inspiration, favorite things, whatever. :)
Learn basic html coding. It will help you loads!! I promise. It helps so much with formatting, like getting your photos all the same width, adjusting and tweaking things, fixing an hiccups you may encounter, it has so many uses as a blogger.
Read up on photography articles! You have a fantastic camera, and as one of my friend's parents said about photography, "It's not so much the wand as it is the wizard wielding it." Learn how to use your camera, read through your manual a bazillion times, toy with it, and practice, practice, PRACTICE. Find out what works for you in terms of composition and aesthetic. Find your photography style.
Stay true to you. ♥
Hope that helps! If you ever have any questions feel free to drop me a line! Comment on my blog, email me, whatever! :) Good luck on this blogging adventure. :)
xo
Maria Elyse
First Impressions
Flying Ships Vintage
P.S. I'm a Christian, too! Yay Jesus! :D ♥
Your hair is awesome! And I love your dress- what a great find!
ReplyDeletewww.saysskippy.blogspot.com
Aw thanks! Go curly girls! I love your blog, by the way, and CONGRATULATIONS on your new little life!
Delete-=Brenna=-
What nice thrifty scores! You look lovely, something about all black that i just love :)
ReplyDeleteI have total camera envy. I have the T1i which I love but the articulated screen would be nice.
I started blogging not too long ago, though not really for fashion but would like to go that way eventually. I think you have to decide what you want out of this blog - Is having a lot of readers important? if so you have to be super active in the community. It's so hard to be seen/found on blogger without being active yourself. Maria gave some great tips above as well.
Good Luck!
~Christina
www.loserlike-me.blogspot.com
Great post :) Really nice to see some more of your work and learn a bit more about you! I also take a lot of my photos indoors this time of year, I guess just try to use the best possible natural light, if you have a tripod then that makes it A LOT easier. Mine broke so I now have to resort to mirrors, mirrors and more mirrors! Love the outfit and cannot wait to see what 2012 holds for your blog, Good luck Mae!
ReplyDeleteHailes<3
hailesheartsfashion.blogspot.com/
Thanks Hailes. =)
DeleteHopefully I'll be moving my pictures to our downstairs library, where there are big picture windows to let in more natural light... then maybe the detailing on my dresses will actually show. =P
You hold a special place in my heart, first follower! ;)
-=Brenna=-
Your cat is so cute!! I adore your curly hair too!!
ReplyDeletehttp://www.lyzhang.com
Thanks Ly! My kitty says hi! =)
Delete-=Brenna=-
Who are you, my twin? I LOVE cats and my friends always say I'll be a cat lady when I'm old and grey. I've given up trying to convince them otherwise. You are so extremely awesome in every single way and oh my! I just saw the Coldplay video below this! Awesome times 40 thousand. I don't know how you found my blog but thank you so so much for following, because I would have never found your blog!!
ReplyDeleteps: Wholey Holey Wholly moley Ravioli...you used a Peeta quote. I am so a follower. Like, if I had the ability to account for 10,000 followers, I so would.
Wait how do I follow you?!! I am so computer challenged it's really very embarrassing...
DeleteHaha... Hi Emily! I'm so excited you found me! To follow there's a link at the veeerryy tip top left of the page, it says "Follow". Click it and it'll pop up a window where you can choose to follow! Thanks so much, it's great to know we have things in common! I don't remember how exactly I found your blog (probably through a fellow blogger's blogroll), but I absolutely adore it! There's this unique, fun quality to your style and photos and writing... it's a breath of fresh air, so many of the style blogs out there start feeling like the same thing - but you're not at all that way. =)
DeleteThanks for the comment, too! I've been having a weird rough patch in life lately and it's sucked up all my motivation to put together outfits or post. Maybe this is the shove I need to get back to it. ;)
I am already in love with your blog-I can't wait to see where you go with it!
ReplyDeleteNew follower :)
Leanna
Aw thanks Leanna Kay!
DeleteFirst of all, I am ferociously jealous of your camera. That is my dream camera. Right now I just have a point and shoot, but my parents have more or less (more) said they will buy me DLSR for my graduation this year. Hallelujah!
ReplyDeleteSecond of all, I, too, love curly hair. I straightened it last month and it lasted a grand total of three days (and it might have only lasted that long because I was too lazy to wash it lol). Curly hair fits my personality, and I love it. Also, I grew up wanting curly hair and was beyond ecstatic when I went through puberty and the curl I hadn't had since I was four years old came back.
Thirdly, I'm with you on the music (and Doctor Who rocks! Which Doctor/companion is your favorite!? I'm a 10 and Rose gal myself. <3)
And last, but not least, that dress is lovely! I'm a sucker for LBD's. If I bought everyone I admired I've have over a dozen by now - so it's a good thing I don't!
Thanks for entering my giveaway and liking my page on FaceBook! It made me so happy! :D
lovely words dear:)La Folie
ReplyDeletelovely words!! i love this pics and this blog, i follow you!
ReplyDeleteif you want check my blog http://catseyesmf.blogspot.it/ there's a new post.
i'll wait you ;) have you a nice week <3
xoxo